Saturday, April 21, 2012

Small World

Last night I was invited along to a ladies networking event that involved an amazing 3 course meal and a room full of women who ran their own businesses. Now usually I would shy away from things like this but when I was asked I just thought, why not! Get out of your comfort zone and go.

I had been in a rush and at the last minute could not find a pretty handbag to go with my outfit so I grabbed my everyday bag, threw my mobile and business cards into it and cringed as I saw everyone walk in with their cute and stylish handbags and kicked mine under the table. It was only when me and the gorgeous girls at my table were giggling over our business cards and discussing one of the photos on the back of one of mine that I remembered my wee portfolio was in my bag from a meeting the day before and I pulled it out to show her the bigger version of the photo.

Within a few minutes my portfolio was taken away and shown around the room. Anyway about 2 hours later a lady came over to the table and asked which one of us was Carly Rodgers. I raised my hand and she sat beside me and told me that I had photographed her children 10 years ago when they were babies!! I genuinely thought she had the wrong person but she kept insisting. She said I had only been a student at the time and I was studying photography. Even at that I still thought she had mistaken me. It was only when she told me where I lived that I knew I was that person. At first I was a bit horrified because I knew back then I was doing everything I could to practice and learn and I had set up a mini backdrop in the house but because I couldn't afford professional lights I was using security lights that were taped to ladders that were then reflected off white cardboard so that the light wasn't too strong. I KNOW!! Ridiculous! But I learnt so much back then although I didn't realise it at the time. 

She was so excited to know that the 19 year old shy girl from back then had continued to do photography and had continued to work at it and is now producing the work that I was doing now and that she has my work on display from 10 years ago!!  I had to point out that I dropped out of that photography course after only one year and even dropped photography for another 3 before it came back to me. But we both laughed over it all and what were the chances of our meet up last night. 

I keep forgetting that my love for photography isn't new. It's been burning for a long LONG time. 

Happy Saturday xo

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carly for as long as I have known you, you were a photographer with amazing passion... now you are simply a professional and should be so proud!
8 years ago you took some of my wedding pictures and to this day, they are some of my favorites :)
Thank you... xoxo
Michele

Carly said...

Ah Michele!! You made my day!! I'll never forget your day! Thank you xox