Thursday, September 17, 2009

Homage to the wobbles

There is one thing about me that not many people know about, which I'm finally going to acknowledge here on the blog...


I have had a wobbly moment at EVERY wedding I've ever photographed. Yes you've read that correctly. I'm talking about a full on wobbly lip and tears welling up in the eyes moment. And I can tell you exactly when it happens...


The car journey home.


My job is done, the shots are in the camera and I've just given massive hugs to the bride and groom and wished them a happy honeymoon. We're driving away from the venue and somewhere between the venue and home the tears will come. They come from all sorts of reasons, like anticipation, disappointment, happiness (believe it or not) or even from hideous pressure that I put on myself to deliver the most amazing photographs on the planet! A lot of the time you have no control how a wedding day will unfold, you just have to keep up and hope you've produced some cracking images in that little black box you've been lugging around and pointing at people all day.


Two weeks ago I shot Lara and Craig's wedding. A day filled with love and laughter and not a single thing went wrong. There was no reason for me to have a case of the wobbles and I knew I'd captured some shots I was unbelievably proud of, and yet, just after their first dance when the celebrations were in full swing, I found myself slipping away from my friends and heading out to the car park and in to the darkness of the car so I could let the wobbles out of my system.


I used to really beat myself up about these moments. In fact I believed it made me less of a photographer and I was too sensitive to be in this industry. But now I realise that without those moments, I would not be the photographer that I am.


So in homage to the wobbles I am putting up these three images. Had I not gone to the car and had my wobbles I would not have seen the potential of this lamp post in the car park, and then dragged Lara and Craig out of their celebrations to be photographed underneath it =)

0 comments: